Quick and dirty design-thinking exercise (~6hrs) on innovation for built-in (OEM) camera based on existing technologies; & its business model
Come up with an innovative camera experience for OEM (Original Equipment manufacturer) smart phone with single camera for Indian millennial which can be implemented by the start 2018.
About this exercise:
- Above ideas are based on the secondary research and no testing has been done so far to test out what works and what not.
- This is a quick and dirty exercise for ‘how OEM camera may innovate by the start of 2018 year’ and can hence contain skewed results.
- It may contain some already implemented ideas from other services.
- Moreover, these propositions are based on existing technology (not futuristic) which can be used to build these ideas in next 3–4 months
- Research (What is): Assumptions, Understanding problem — Secondary Research, Developing personas, Use cases & Scenarios
- Ideation (What if): Product Identification, Feature categorization, Business Model, SWOT analysis, Information Architecture, Wireframing
- Final Design (What wows): High fidelity mockups, Prototype
- What works: — — — —
Research (What is)
- The phone has single camera (no dual camera functionality)
- Idea to be at Intersection of Technology- Business- Consumer Insight
- Based on Indian consumer need
- Focus on socio-cultural-business aspect of India
- Give competitive advantage for 6 months (difficult to copy by third party apps)
- Target consumer 18–25 years age.
- Target price 15–25 K INR
- Camera + UGC
Brands leverage User Generated Content. Hence the importance of this content is more than ever. Therefore, quality of content coming out of smart phone cameras should be brand-usable (high quality, brand products etc.)
2. Camera replaces keyboard
“The camera is the new keyboard” — Tech Crunch
With the support of big data and machine learning, camera has become smarter than ever. One doesn’t have to open keyboard to — Find products, book reservation, talk to assistant, chat with photos, unlock phone, scan passwords, translation etc. All these activities can be easily done just by opening camera.
Today, camera is not just to take pictures
- Shreya is 19 years old studying in Amity University, Noida. She is quite active on WhatsApp, Facebook and other messaging/social networks always be seen texting her friends, making plans, getting suggestion for her shopping, sharing pictures, making fun of each other, sharing notes and many more.
2. Monika, 26, is a travel freak. She has goals to travel all worth seeing places in India in next two years. She has already travelled to many countries. She is a picture lover who love creating video albums of her trips and sharing with Public
Amit, 22, is a diligent student pursuing his bachelors from IIT Delhi. He has an outstanding 9.5/10 GPA in past two years at IIT. Moreover, he actively participates in EDC and IEEE cells in the campus. Due to which, many times he has to miss his classes. Therefore, he has to read his classmates’ notes from the pictures taken from his cell phone as the scanner is only available in the library which is too far from the hostel.
Use cases & Scenarios
Ideation (What if)
I delved deeper into the most innovative or most engaging camera technology that exists which can be implemented right now:
3. Remove moving objects
Image Completion with Deep Learning in TensorFlow
Content-aware fill is a powerful tool designers and photographers use to fill in unwanted or missing parts of images…bamos.github.ioGoogle Creates Algorithm That Removes Watermarks From Stock Photos
Watermarks are used to mark and protect the copyright of millions of images on the web. They are extensively used by…digitalsynopsis.com
Business Model diagram
- Take picture
- Access gallery
- Switch camera
- Flash, Exposure, Focus, Timer, and other basic camera functionalities and settings
- Basic filters
- Face detection
- Blur, vignette etc.
- Video Stabiliser
- Create Stories
- Lookback memories
- Create Cinemagraphs
- Add stickers, text (fonts)
- Augmented filters (Facial feature, depth, motion detection etc.) platform
- AR object placement. (Social experiments with dustbins)
- Remove moving objects
- In-built social network sharing
- Ecommerce pricing/shopping
- In-built Gif, meme, sticker creation
- Location sharing
- Text/document reading/saving
- QR scanner
- Make public (Filtered/framed pictures, Cinemagraphs etc.)
- Make private (Password, Archive)
Final Design (What wows)
Hope this exercise helps you understand the process and that you learned something new, as I did. Leave your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below.
Related links :
Why stories in camera:
Why Sharing, Cinemagraph, Influencer content creation, Camera as search:
After mixed year, mobile AR to drive $108 billion VR/AR market by 2021
"VR will be big, AR will be bigger and take longer." What sounded revolutionary when we first said it 2 years ago has…www.digi-capital.com